Monday, January 11, 2016

Misunderstood or Misinterpreted


After the incident with our oldest son taking a copy of my book on Teaching Children about Sex, I brought home an armful of books from the library. Some of them were about puberty and some were about sex. He was so excited to read through them all and see which one he thought would be most beneficial for him. I had previewed all the books and was okay with the material in them, except one page on one book. I still brought it home, just so I could discuss the topic with him.

He quickly chose a book about sex and babies: Sex & Babies First Facts by Jane Annunziata

He took a while to decide between two books about puberty and asked his dad which one he thought would have helped him as a child. This is the one he chose with his dad: The Body Book for Boys by Rebecca Paley and Grace Norwich.

He was voraciously reading when he first received the books. He had a lot of questions. Now, weeks later, his appetite for knowledge seems to be satiated. He hasn't asked a question in a couple weeks. As he read these books, he came across some information he was happy to understand better. I didn't realize he had a mistaken idea. He somehow thought (even with our balloon analogies with the uterus) that a baby came out of the mother's belly. He seemed to think a baby was surgically born every time. He came to me one day soon after after receiving the book. He said, "Wow, mom! I thought the baby came out of here (pointing to his belly). I didn't realize it came out of a little hole!"

REALLY!!!!!! Where were you when we were discussing how the vagina is a little opening that is used for the baby getting started and when it's born, like a balloon???????? Obviously there had been a disconnect in his mind with some of the information he had been learning and I was very happy to correct his misinformation.

Another fabulous side effect of these books was that he believes them! The Body Book for Boys talks about eating healthy and getting enough sleep as things he can do now to prepare his body for the changes that will happen. He was explaining everything he read and telling me how he was going to accomplish goals he was making to prepare his body.

I love having these types of resources so he can get another perspective or information I may not think to discuss with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment