Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tub Talk



Pin It

Our two younger children were in the tub yesterday, our 7-year-old daughter and 3-year-old son. They were playing around when I heard our 3-year-old say, "Ewwww, gross!!!!" I poked my head in the door to make sure nothing was totally amiss. Nothing seemed to be problematic, so I asked what was gross. "That!" He was pointing to a generic place on his sister's body, a knee or something. There was no gross sore or anything. I was confused.

Me: "What? What's gross?"
Z-man: "Sister's body!"
Me: "Where?" (I'm still confused).
Sweet Az: "He thinks my body is gross."
Me: "Oh. Z, why do think Az's body is gross?"
Z-man: "It's different!"
Me: "Oh. Who made her body?"
Z-man: "Ummmmmm...."
Me: "Heavenly Father made her body. Would Heavenly Father make your sister a gross body?"
Z-man: He started to nod (he likes being silly), but then his expression changed and he shook his head.
Me: "Is your body gross?"
Z-man: "No way!"
Me: "That's right. Heavenly Father made all of our bodies to look just like him. That makes both of your bodies pretty awesome. He loves you so much he wanted you to be just like him. That included giving you a body like His that can do lots of cool stuff."
Z-man: "Yeah."
Sweet Az: Smiling - love this girl's spirit. "I already know that!"

The whole point of this was to change the spirit of the reverence surrounding his comment about his body (or lack of reverence). I don't think it would have been totally detrimental if I would have left them alone and not addressed this. He would have given it up pretty quick and moved on to playing with the bubbles. But, as I shut the door, the whole spirit of the bathroom had changed from one of mild disgust and disrespect to one of loving reverence. They were happy and playing nicely in the water in both cases, but I left them with a better understanding of the sacredness of their bodies. I could feel the difference in the spirit of the room as I left and I could tell by their expressions that they felt the change too.

2 comments:

  1. You are so awesome for the way you approach this teaching moments with your kids! I am always excited to read your posts and hope to be able to implement some that I am learning from you with my own kids. My oldest is 3.5 and my youngest will be 2 in the end of this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that these moments are helping you!!!! Thanks for your encouragement.

      Delete