Friday, October 16, 2015

Cherished Children


Pin It

To combat some of the negativity surrounding bearing children, we decided to tell the children the stories of how we decided to have each of them. I have also started to consciously tell the children how much I love having a family. I admit that it can be hard, but I wouldn't want to be doing anything else. Any job is hard, but there are so many moments of joy. There are some things that I like to keep sacred and personal, so I'm not going to share the details of how we decided it was time to try for each of our children.

I will share a recent experience at my house where I was inspired to point out to my children how wonderful a family is.

My husband is the early morning seminary teacher in our area. Our bonus room is a playroom/television room/seminary room. We have a long table set up for seminary. It's up all the time because seminary is every morning, bright and early. It's Fall Break here, so the kids have a week off school. They've actually been playing really well together. I'm trying to keep them busy with activities so they don't start fighting a lot. My husband is gone to a professional conference and one morning I decided to move the seminary table so we could have more space to play. In the process of moving it, I decided to just put one side down and use it as a slide for our little one's tractors, cars, and trucks. Well......as I was sending a truck down I wondered if a person could slide pretty easily. I sat on the top and slid down, much to the amazement of my children. After we had played on the slide for hours - and the next day - I asked:

Me: "So, do you think I would have just put the seminary table down like that and slid on it if I didn't have you kids?"
K (our oldest): "No Way!!!!"
A (our daughter): "I don't think so."
Z-man (just laughs - he was having tons of fun with this)
Me: "You're probably right. Having kids is a lot of fun, even if it's hard sometimes. I get to do things I wouldn't think of otherwise. I'm so grateful to have you kids. You make my life a lot more fun and interesting!"

I do believe this was a moment of inspiration because I wouldn't normally ask my kids to consciously think about the awesomeness of having a family. But, because I've been concerned about the kids not desiring families when they get older, I've been able to feel inspired at different moments to point out the beauty of being part of a family and choosing to have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment